Summer Under the Stars - Week 3


Hello, dear hearts!

I'm so happy you've come back for Week 3 of my picks for TCM's Summer Under the Stars! This week is an unusual mix because three of the films I chose are films I've never seen. I love when I find films on TCM that are new to me! I really did stick to my one film a day plan (unlike last week) this time. It was tough, I tell ya!
.
Here are my picks for the week of August 16 - 22:



SATURDAY, AUGUST 16 | HERBERT FALCON MARSHALL

7:15pm PST - MURDER! (1930)



I had a difficult time choosing between MURDER! and THE LETTER for today's pick. I chose MURDER! because it's a very early Hitchcock film, and I've never seen it. I want to see Herbert Falcon Marshall in this role. In truth, I prefer him in his earlier films. I can't wait to see Falcon directed by Alfie!

..............................................................................................................................

SUNDAY, AUGUST 17 | JOHN HODIAK

7pm PST - A BELL FOR ADANO (1945)



John Hodiak is an actor that I'm not very familiar with. I've seen LIFEBOAT, which he was very good in and a few others. I've not seen A BELL FOR ADANO, and I chose this as my pick for that reason. It's a WW1 film centered on a small Italian village. Directed by Henry King and also starring the mesmerizing Gene Tierney and underrated (imo) William Bendix.  I am so looking forward to this one.

...............................................................................................................................

MONDAY, AUGUST 18 | CLAUDETTE COLBERT

7pm PST - SKYLARK (1941)



This is the third day of my picks this week and the third new-to-me film. I'm so excited to see this one too! The only down side to choosing new-to-me films is I don't have much to offer as far as an opinion. SKYLARK is described as a sophisticated romance. How can it lose with Claudette Colbert in the line-up? She is impeccable. The leading men are Ray Milland and Brian Aherne. And the incomparable Edith Head in charge of costume design. Heaven!


....................................................................................................................................

TUESDAY, AUGUST 19 | PAUL NEWMAN

7pm PST - BUTCH CASSIDY AND THE SUNDANCE KID



There are many things I love about this film. The direction by George Roy Hill is fantastic, unique and beautiful. I get giddy when I see his use of sepia tones. Of course, it doesn't hurt that we are gazing at Paul Newman, Robert Redford and Katherine Ross for 110 minutes. AND it's a western, which I have a definite soft spot for. Good westerns, especially those that add a modern touch, are my favorite type. This is an excellent example. I believe that most of us know the fate of Butch Cassidy and Sundance Kid which is why I think the ending was done masterfully.

........................................................................................................................................

WEDNESDAY, AUGUST 20 | THELMA RITTER

5pm PST - THE MATING SEASON (1951)



Oh Thelma! How I adore you. I sort of wish Thelma Ritter could have been in every movie. She brings me such joy. This film, THE MATING SEASON, is a true gem that does not get enough praise. It's a complete delight to watch. Please don't miss this romantic comedy. The cast is very impressive with Gene Tierney, John Lund and Miriam Hopkins, and the director, Mitchell Liesen (whose has directed many special films such as REMEMBER THE NIGHT and HOLD BACK THE DAWN), gives us a gift with this film.

......................................................................................................................................

THURSDAY, AUGUST 21 | LEE TRACY

5pm PST - BOMBSHELL (1933)



This film...love love love. Jean Harlow at her best. I dare you to take your eyes off her for one second. She will hypnotize you. Lee Tracy is very sexy, snappy and just plain wonderful. The chemistry is definitely evident between Harlow and Tracy. A gorgeous film, photographed by Harold Rosson with stellar writing by Norman Krasna (who also wrote BACHELOR MOTHER and MR. & MRS. SMITH, to name just two). Directed by manly Victor Fleming. Jean's delicious gowns by Adrian. This is another must-see!

...................................................................................................................................

FRIDAY, AUGUST 22 | AUDREY HEPBURN

5pm PST - ROMAN HOLIDAY (1953)



This tender film is Hepburn's first starring role. I can hardly express how much I love her performance. She is so sincere, it will maybe break your heart just a wee bit. It did mine. Gregory Peck is so handsome and really, sublime. As if that's not enough, this film is set in Rome. There is so much to look at between the actors and the setting. I feel this is a very special film for many reasons. Written by blacklisted Dalton Trumbo who did not get credit for nearly 40 years. I urge you, dear friends, to read more about Dalton Trumbo here. Directed by William Wyler.

.......................................................................................................................................

There you have it, darling dears, Week 3! If you get a chance to see any (or hopefully, all) of these films, I hope you'll let me know your thoughts about them. I'm having such a grand time picking them out. Three of these films I will be seeing for the first time which is an added bonus. Anticipation...

I will post my picks for August 23 - 31 next week.

Thank you so much for stopping by!

Thank you for being you.
Until next time...

xo





No comments: