Summer Under the Stars - Week 2


Hello, dear hearts.

Welcome back! I have for you my picks for week 2 of  TCM's Summer Under the Stars.  Again, it was painful to choose just one film per day, but I managed to do just that (with just one teensy weensy slip-up). And what a week of films!

Here are my picks for August 9 – 15:



SATURDAY, AUGUST 9 | WILLIAM POWELL

5pm PST - THE THIN MAN (1934)


This film is in my Top Five Favorite Films List. It's a must-see. Sophisticated wit, snappy dialogue, oh, and a murder mystery! So many excellent characters flit across the screen and Loy and Powell are sublime.

"I don't like crooks. And if I did like 'em, I wouldn't like crooks that are stool pigeons. And if I did like crooks that are stool pigeons, I still wouldn't like you!"

Psst. I realize I'm breaking my own One Film A Day Rule, but these are wonderful films on the schedule today:

7am PST - DOUBLE HARNESS (1933)
1:30pm PST - I LOVE YOU AGAIN (1940)

..................................................................................................................................

SUNDAY, AUGUST 10 | CAROLE LOMBARD

3pm PST - MR. AND MRS. SMITH (1941)


This sexy comedy is directed by Alfred Hitchcock. I believe it's not a film that is well-known. I adore this one! Gorgeous to look at and (of course) beautifully directed. Fun from start to finish. Lombard and Montgomery were made for each other. I wish they would have done more films together. And by the way, Gene Raymond is nothing to sneeze at either (You'll get the reference once you watch the film. I hope.*wink*).


..................................................................................................................................

MONDAY, AUGUST 11 | MARLON BRANDO

8:45pm PST - ON THE WATERFRONT (1954)



Where do I begin? The acting (by every actor in this film) is absolutely impeccable.  What was Kazan's secret? He could bring out the gritty, intense, grindingly realistic performances in his actors like no other. Keep an eye out for the heart-wrenching scene between Steiger and Brando in the back of the taxi. And the steamy, passionate apartment scene between Eva Marie Saint and Brando.,

......................................................................................................................................

TUESDAY, AUGUST 12 | ALEXIS SMITH

12:30 am (August 13) PST - THE YOUNG PHILADELPHIANS (1959)




I've only seen this film once before. That was quite some time ago so I don't feel I can give you much insight. I definitely want to watch it again. What I remember most about this film was Alexis Smith's heartfelt role as a frustrated wife.

.......................................................................................................................................

WEDNESDAY, AUGUST 13 | CARY GRANT

9:45am PST - THE PHILADELPHIA STORY (1940)


Good grief. Too much to write about! Watch this film again and again. You'll catch something new every time. It's sparkling and brilliant. And remember these sage (but true) words from a drunken Macaulay Connor:

"Champagne is a great leveleler... leveleler. It makes you my equal."

 .....................................................................................................................................

THURSDAY, AUGUST 14 | CHARLES CHAPLIN

9:30pm PST - CITY LIGHTS (1931)


I have a confession to make. I've never watched this film (runs and hides). I haven't seen it, but I have it on good authority that it's a masterpiece. I've avoided it because I've heard it's a tearjerker and let's face it, I'm a wimp. I am going to square my shoulders and watch it this time around. Who's with me?

.......................................................................................................................................

FRIDAY, AUGUST 15 | FAYE DUNAWAY

9pm PST - CHINATOWN (1974)


I love love (yes, I double love it) this film! A film noir in color. A modern film (neo-noir) set in the early 1900's Los Angeles. Directed by Roman Polanski, written by Robert Towne. It's a mesmerizing film. The acting is immaculate. Dunaway is a master. The costumes are heavenly. If you're as big a fan of noir as I am, I believe you will fall head over heels in love with this one.

................................................................................................................................

Week 2 complete! If you have a chance to watch these films, I hope you enjoy them as much as I will. Let me know your thoughts on any or all of them, if you wish.  I always love hearing from you, and I could talk movies till the cows come home!
.
I will be back next week with my picks for August 16 - 22 next week.

Thank you for being you.
Until next time...
xo




No comments: