Ode to Michael.



 








Hello, dear hearts...

Ron and I completed our year-long class in metalsmithing. Phew-wee! We learned so much. I now have all the tools and knowledge necessary to pursue my silversmithing desires. Ron is already a master at this skill. I believe it's because he is an experienced woodworker. The two skills are similar in many ways. On the other hand, I am slower and more cautious, adapting to hot metal. It's so very different from fiber arts, which I still dearly love.

I made this belt buckle for my beloved brother. It was one of the last projects assigned in our class. We had the freedom of design, but there were certain techniques that had to be included. Stone setting was not one of the techniques listed for this particular assignment (we covered that earlier in the class), but I talked our instructor, Denny, into allowing a stone for my design. He saw the sketch of this buckle and agreed that it was important to the design.

I wanted to share these pics showing the progression of this particular piece. It was quite challenging and very rewarding. There is a lot of silver in this piece, and let me tell you, there were a few frustrations when I was soldering.  It was a true learning experience. The buckle will soon be shipped out to its namesake, my brother, as a gift.

So, that's it for now. Just wanted to show you what I've been up to. I'd love to hear about what you've been up to!

Thank you for stopping by. I hope your week is off to a wonderful start!

Thank you for being you.

Much love...xo



1 comment:

Waterrose said...

I was just adjusting my blog, which I also haven't attended to in a very long time and came to the link for yours. So nice to see you again. And, funny...I also ventured down the metalsmithing/enameling path. I love it, but am having trouble fitting it into my life...the typical creative person dilemma... Anyway...happy new year and I hope you'll keep posting your creations!