I want to share with you a recipe that may not be for everyone. The original recipe I found online, but as with all recipes, I had to tweak it to my liking. Think of this recipe as a healthy comfort food...Personally, I really like these oatmeal bars for a number of reasons (Yay! List time!):
~They're sweet but not too sweet.
~They're quite dense so they are satisfying and filling.
~They go beautifully with coffee, tea or milk. I'm eating one right now as I type (along with my coffee)
~They're super for hikes, the beach, picnics or a weekend camping trip/road trip. Basically, they travel well.
~The boys really like them.
~They are extremely easy to make.
~And lastly, they truly are quite healthy.
I hope you'll give them a try. I think you'll find them pretty dang good....
Mama D's Healthy Oatmeal Bars
1 egg white
3/4 cup sugar
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
3 tbsp canola oil
1 tsp vanilla
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1 1/2 cups rolled oats
1/2 cup raisins or dried fruit or diced apples....whatever you have on hand.
1. Coat a 13 x 9 baking pan with non-stick spray and set aside.
2. Mix the egg, egg white, sugar and brown sugar until smooth. (I do all the mixing by hand, it's so simple, you don't even need to take out the electric mixer for this recipe)
3. Add the oil and vanilla; mix 10 to 15 seconds.
4. Add flour, baking soda and salt. Mix until just blended. Add oats and incorporate.
5. Mix in extra ingredients (raisins, etc) with a fork.
6. Transfer the dough to the prepared pan; press into pan with wet fingers.
7. Bake at 350F for 25-30 minutes, or until toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool in the pan.
So there you have, a stick-to-your-ribs oatmeal bar...I hope you'll try them....Let me know what you think, if you do. You can find a couple more Mama D recipes here (perhaps not as healthy though).
Thanks for stopping by, lovelies...Happy Friday! xo