Book Sculpture Revisited...

Remember these?

Every year around Thanksgiving, we would make turkey centerpieces out of old phone books in grade school art class. I used to love making them. It's a great way to recycle an old book that is damaged or you've no longer a use for.

I revisited this craft a couple weeks ago when I was trying to come up with a fun craft for my 12-year-old boy. Believe me, it's no picnic trying to interest a boy that age with crafts. He flipped over this one though. Above is my finished project. I had an old journal from two years ago that I kept around purely for the daily quotes it offered. It turned out to be a lovely book sculpture although it is a bit rough and uneven. Also, it would have been better if the journal were about twice as thick, but still, I quite like it. I even have the attached ribbon bookmark keeping the place for one of my favorite quotes.

"Have no fear of perfection - you'll never reach it." ~Salvador Dali

Whenever I want a quote, I simply unfold the page. As for the boy's book sculpture...he's still got a ways to go on it. He had an old book we picked up at a school giveaway and it is much thicker than mine. Typical for his age, he has the patience required for this only in small spurts. When he's finished with his sculpture, I will be sure to show it to you...

No comments: